Saturday, March 31, 2012

Blog #4


March 31st, 2012

I am most proud of blog number three. I’ve learned so many things while completing this. The blog talks about the poem “Those Winter Sundays” by Robert Hayden and what it means. It includes many metaphors, figuaritive language and repetitive phrases. Based on the poem’s tone and language I had learned that love is not always as grateful and warm as it should be.

By reading this poem and writing an entry about it, I’ve learned how to interpret the language in poems such as metaphors, smililies, figuative language and repitition as well as symbolism. For example, in the poem when it says “chronic angers”, I was able to understand that it had described the bad  relationship of the father and son. I’ve also learned that one symbol can stand for many different meanings. One example is shown by the different perspectives of the Statue of Liberty, Some say that it represents freedom while on the other hand, others think of it as a symbol of New York. I’ve also been taught by reading “Literary Terms I: Poetry. It taught me how to differenciate the speaker from the characters.

Working with the House members was very helpful. We discussed specific things about the poem and we were able to connect each other’s opinions. I was able to take their thoughts and perspectives of the poem and create new ideas of my own. If I had the chance to do another activity like this, I’d take it. It gives me the opportunity to learn more about various topics.

I have completed my House member’s evaluation. Their blogs had taught me that there are many ways to describe a metaphor and a symbol. The way they interpret something may be different from the way I do and it all depends on the person.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the thoughtful reflection!

    Oops, you still have your "captcha" on--let's get that fixed on Monday if we have a minute.

    ReplyDelete